- Course Code:
- QQI - Level 5
This course may be of interest to students who are considering pursuing a degree in Engineering. It is also of particular relevance to those who require a science subject or Mathematics to progress to further study.
This course is designed to
- Prepare participants for entry to Higher Education Colleges eg IT Sligo
- Gain practical competence in good work practices including adherence to health and safety in an engineering workshop environment.
- Common measuring and inspection techniques used in the engineering industry.
- The properties of engineering materials and be aware of common machining methods.
- The use of a range of tools and equipment (e.g. milling machine, lathe, drilling machine as well a variety of other measuring and hand tools).
Safety and Health at Work
Computer Aided Draughting (2D)
Motor Vehicle Theory
Engineering Workshop Theory
Engineering Workshop Processes
How the course is taught
- SCFE has developed a style of teaching to meet the needs of a diverse community of learners.
- Whenever possible, we use a Learn-by-Doing approach to make the learning experience more realistic and enjoyable.
- We provide learning supports that are tailored to meet the needs of individual learners.
- Leaving Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, or equivalent
- Mature applicants welcome
- Applicants whose first language is not English will require a competency as stated in our admissions policy